Monday, July 30, 2012

Lalla Puran 23

Friends, I wish to share one of the 'eternal' questions I am confronted with, ever since I expressed my ruthless critique of Hindu Caste order.i.e. Brahmanical order is why do I use suffix, Mishra, in my name, Ish Mishra, which for me has become a single proper noun without suffix and prefix, when IO don't believe in Varnashram? By implication, the questioner, educated at the Oxford of the east, has guts to publicly own and condone, the worst kind of feudalism -the Varnashram feudalism. Any way this question has 2 presumptions: Either my loud ant-Manuvadi proclamations are sham or despite I subtly take pride in the identity derived from a biological accident, which I have no contribution to or conspiracy in. Therefore no one should feel proud or ashamed for wherever one is born. What is important is, irrespective of biological coincidence, how you comprehend the history with the help of experience, reason, conscience and empathy(SAMANBHUTI). My understanding of Varnashram or Brahmanism or Hindu caste order is not result of just the bookish knowledge and my romantic quest for equality but also based on participatory, empirical observation, though from the side of the privileged of the divide in my childhood and youth. I always had problem in telling/writing father's occupation and would hesitantly say farmer, though he himself never worked in the field. Effectively, that category of people, belonged to the class of gainfully unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment